This Europe-wide NGO-led campaign will run from the beginning of May until election days between 24th-26th of May, before and during the European Parliamentary elections.
The objective of the campaign is to enhance digital empathy, tolerance and respect in debates and public discourse. The campaign is raising awareness about the normalization of hate speech in public and political discourse, which is preventing critical debates and block us from engaging with people many see as ‘others’. This should be a core part of the democratic process and elections.
The grassroots campaign aims to show that European citizens deserve better quality debates, better arguments without spreading hate and/or relying on false news, misinformation or conspiracy theories. Regardless of our different political colors, we know we deserve better than this, which is why we are campaigning: to inspire more awareness and positive speech.
How can you participate?
- It’s simple: if you agree with the message, spread it! Share it on Facebook and Instagram, spread it on YouTube, tweet it out – just make sure you always add the international, English hashtag #WeDeserveBetter along with your local one: #WirVerdienenBesseres
- Feel free to add something more specific when you share it; you can call out others using hate speech (#CallOut), you can encourage others to #ThinkBeforeYouType or you can just simply share why this issue matters to you.
- The more we are, the louder our voices will be! Let’s stand up together for the values of tolerance and respect in the public discourse.
- You can share our posts from here: Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Make sure to follow us on social media in the coming weeks as we will be sharing more materials as the campaign unfolds!